Thursday, July 28, 2011

An American Original

The Sand Hills Golf Club: A True American Original

I was just 25 years old living in Denver slugging it out at a dot-com venture when my desk phone rang. I swiveled away from the project I was working on for one of my many feeble ventures only to hear a familiar voice on the other line:

"Hey Scott, it's Dad."

I heard just a hint of teenage giddiness as he delivered his next messages to me over the phone.

"Scott, I'm out at the Sand Hills with some clients and we have an open spot. Why don't you head out from work and join us. If you leave now, you should be here in time for a late nine and some dinner."

The Sand Hills? What was that? You want me to drive 5 hours to where?

I had just fallen in love with the game, and my idea of good design was a course in Denver called Arrowhead, which now reminds me of the beautiful bimbo you had a date with in college for which you couldn't escape from once you sat down for dinner.

In light of my dad's offer, I had to politely decline. Hell, I lived in Nebraska for my entire life and hadn't heard of these "sand hills." Add on the fact that the driving directions included a cruise eastbound on the featureless I-80 to North Platte, he wasn't exactly wowing me with some mystical experience.

The moment I even tried to get "no" out out of my mouth and into the receiver, my father dived in aggressively:

"Tell your boss that you need to leave. Go home and get your clubs. Get in the car and meet me here in 5 hours."

I decided to take a blind leap with my father's insistent urging that I visit this place. As I was driving through North Platte looking for the two-lane highway to send me north to the Sand Hills, I was truly wondering what in the hell could be so great. Why was my dad so insistent that I ditch my job on a Friday for a round of golf in the middle of nowhere? I told myself repeatedly that this place had better be good.

Captivated in the Sand Hills of Nebraska
As the sun set, its rays cast a level of shadows on the sand hills region of Nebraska that truly captivated me. It was a big moment. Everywhere I looked I saw golf holes. These dunes were incredible. I had always dreamt of walking the great links of Scotland, and I could feel an emotional pull from within that had me transfixed to this landscape. Its remoteness left me completely centered as I rolled into the entrance of the club eagerly looking for what had to be a great golf course. I saw nothing as I rolled into the modest parking lot with my Dad sitting in a golf cart waiting for my arrival.

A coy smile appeared as he grabbed my clubs and said "Let's go."

For roughly a mile, the sand-based cart path weaved me through what was the most beautiful set of dunes I had ever seen. The drama leading up to the course was one of the best I have witnessed still to this day.As we came over the horizon, the emotional response inside me looking at what was the most beautiful links I had experienced quickly validated my dad's insistence on my quest. At 24-years old, it was my first "it" course. The modest setting amidst the dunes brought out my inner-child that left me begging for the act of play in an atmosphere that was bred to encourage such behavior. The Sand Hills Golf Club to this day is an American Original, and offers the lucky few who are guests of a member a once-in-a-lifetime chance to enjoy playing golf as they did when they were in their youth. There is only 50 people per day out at the facility which further encourages the feeling of isolation and inner-connection to the game itself and the friends you are sharing it with. It is one of most special places in the world.

It has been a well-documented story regarding Dick Youngscap's development of the Sand Hills for a modest budget of just over $1 million. Many people have written about this project, and others have been inspired to copy it in hopes of catching the same allure of what makes this place that special.

When I think of the Sand Hills, I see the project as a true American original. Without this project happening, there would be no destination clubs. Places like Sutton Bay, Flint Hills National, Dismal River, The Prairie Club, Friars Head, and Bandon Dunes would not be here without the Dick's vision, courage, and dedication towards an idea that seemed absolutely crazy at the time, but accepted and replicated in today's golf marketplace.

Yes, the golf course is amazing. Over the past 20 years, it has stood the test of time and continues to earn respect as one of the very best in golf. There are very few courses that I know of where 5 years later, I can still give you a detailed account of each hole with my eyes closed.

Much like Dick Youngscap, the design philosophies of Coore/Crenshaw also represent an American original. Their focus on wide fairways, low-impact design, strategy through the use of angles & bunkering, open green complexes which promote a variety of shot selections, and the use of the ground game came off as a refreshing contrast to the over-polished, manufactured look that was being produced in the 90's.

The ultimate beauty of this club is that Mr. Youngscap always has, and always will, treat the Club as something bigger than any individual can offer.

The Sand Hills Golf Club is important to golf not just as a "Top 100" Club in glossy magazines. It has been a major contributor to the game of golf and how it has been shaped since its opening. The act of bringing back classic design principals through a low-impact use setting is what has made careers for golf architects such as C&C and Tom Doak. Many of the projects they have completed (Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails, Friar's Head, Ballyneal) would never have even happened if this course hadn't been built. Second of all, the "destination golf club" concept of attracting members from around the world to enjoy golf in a remote setting with on-site lodging and world-class dining is the heart and soul of the SH's business plan. A business plan that many bankers scoffed at Dick Youngscap for when he asked for their support.

Who's laughing now?

Fast forward to June, 2011. As we left Ballyneal from the vicious hail storm from the previous night, I received yet another call from my dad in the car ahead which lightened my spirits:

"Scott, I just spoke with Dick and he said for us to get up here. We're going to play Sand Hills."

This same voice who demanded that I leave my job on a Friday to drive up to the middle of nowhere was once again inviting me to visit what now is an old friend. As I sat in the car with my friend Dave, I was so excited to introduce him to my favorite old friend in golf.

An old, dear friend that is.

Holes of Note: Due to varying wind conditions, the Club does not provide a slope rating or handicap ranking of holes...Take THAT USGA!!!

Hole #1: Par 5
One of the very best: The 1st hole at Sand Hills
Probably one of the best openers in the country. The par 5 normally features a down wind tee-shot that must navigate directional bunkers. Excluding unusual circumstances, it is a three-shot hole that features deep green side bunkers and a false front green which will send rejected shots 60 yards back down the hill. Welcome to Sand Hills!





Hole #4: Par 4
The green site of this hole captures many of the fundamental design elements of C&C. An elevated green invites players to take driver from the tee and attack this downhill short par 4. Lurking by the green is one of the largest natural blow-out bunkers an individual can experience along with a razor-shaved turf complex which falls away from the green with any errant shots. Its a fabulous par 4 which has ruined many of scorecards.



Hole #10: Par 4
After you finish what WILL be one the best lunch settings in golf at Ben's Porch, this beast of a par 4 will wake you up from your hamburger coma. Normally, a blind second shot to a deceptive, non-bunkered green promotes play of a left-side hill to a sloping green that is normally running 11 on the stimp meter. Make par and walk away dancing.




Hole # 17: Par 3
Its short, but don't let that fool you. Based on the wind, I have hit everything from pitching wedge to 4 iron. The heavy bunkering and undulated green shows golfers why distance for a par 3 is meaningless.

The 17th & 18th holes at Sand Hills
Hole #18: Par 4
The uphill finishing hole gives you one last taste of a large blow-out bunker on the left-hand side. The windmill that catches your eye off the tee has not been successfully replicated at numerous courses (bleck). The left-side of the fairway must be navigated in order to avoid a blind second shot over a large mound protecting the green on the right side. This stern finishing hole captures what will be one of the very best places you have ever visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment